Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Life with Bailey - Assistance Dog in Training

Eggs - Almond Milk - Juice - Bread - etc... Simple enough. 
Just a quick little trip to the grocery store.


Not so simple when the juice in on the bottom shelf!

After I've squatted as low as I can ---- If I am lucky enough to still be on my feet, which most of the time I am not!  --  I will kneel on all fours get that (now stupid- "why do I really need this") bottle of V-8 Splash...... Take a huge deep breath and use the shelving to pull myself back up to a standing position.... 

 I am sure the many silent bystanders  were certainly baffled as to why I did not just bend right over and pick it up..... is because I am not able to!

Looks can be deceiving!   I no longer have a surgery boot, bruises, crutches, wheelchair or a large brace on my back but my body was left with permanent damage.

It has been almost 3 years since my accident. 

Gone are the Olympic Dreams of Grandeur.... Here are the days of living to enjoy each moment of a lovely life. 


 I have adjusted to new goals in life.

Physical Therapy Exercises and walks around the block are my new workouts.  Concentrating on not dropping a glass of water has become my new Mental Training Session.  And snuggling with my family is now my best Post -Work- Out Recovery Time.

Reality is...  Life for me is VERY different than before my accident.  

Things I never had to put thought into when doing before, like laundry, cooking and cleaning now have to be planned out and scheduled.  

Needing to have a family member with me or staying close to home is not going to last forever.  As my children and my husband will not and can not be with me all the time,  I now turn to my next best helper...

Meet Bailey!
   


Bailey is a Lab -Mix. 
Dang they are so cute when they are small. 
Bailey joined our family as a little 7 week old puppy.

Teaching Bailey the skills necessary as an assistance dog must be done by a professional.   And only time will tell if she will "pass the test".

I must be able to trust that Bailey will be balanced in all situations.  She needs to be comfortable with all personalities & environments.  And it is imperative that I be able to rely on her ability in meeting my needs.

HELP!!!     We speak human and our sweet little puppy speaks dog!
  
A New Leash On Life is a non-profit organization.   Staffed by a group of precious people who care about making a difference in the lives of others.   They share their love and knowledge in training therapy and assistance dogs for those in need. 
 

Let the Work Begin! 
-Bailey,  Assistance dog in training...... 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment