Thursday, April 18, 2013

Missed Olympics Vol. 3

Rotary and the Philippines



Rotary has blessed my life.....


During my high school years (graduated in 1991),  I continued to train and work on my race walking. I was able to compete in some of the race walking events in Denver and continued to do very well. Race walking did not become an Olympic sport for women until 1992. 

I was blessed with one of the most fantastic opportunities in my life and it came to me while living in this town.   My father is a Rotarian so our family was able to host many guests in our home from all over the world.

As a sophomore our Rotary District hosted a Group Study Exchange, adult study group from the Philippines.  We were lucky enough to have 3 women stay with us for about 1 week.  A week that helped to change my life.  I was born in Germany.  I always  wanted to, if possible, to be an exchange student to Germany.  

Well these lovely ladies suggested I apply to the Philippines.  Their description of an Asian country made me curious.  So I applied and was accepted.   

My junior year of high school I went to the Philippines! I fell in love with Asia and Philipinos.

So many memories come flooding back as I think of what an experience this was for me.  I lived with two of the most amazing families on the earth. 

Strangers who opened their home to me, a strange American teenager, who quickly became my Philipino parents and brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles whose relationships are still there today.  

 I had never been anywhere before in my life outside of my family, where I felt so instantly loved and accepted. 

 I was blessed to have some amazing experiences there, that have helped mold me into who I am now. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment