Thursday, April 18, 2013

Why can I not sleep? 



I have asked my self this question over and over since my accident in May of 2011.  

After the onset of the accident and the physical pain that ensued, I found myself totally unable to find a comfortable position to sleep.  I lived on the family couch for just over a year and a half!  

I did not want to wake up my family as I struggled to sleep.  For much of the first year following the accident I slept less than a few hours a night and it would take all night to accumulate those hours.

photo source

The National Sleep Foundation states:
Some people with sleep problems and anxiety 
have post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.

 PTSD is a reaction to a traumatic stressful event 
resulting in a feeling of a loss of control and an 
inability to help yourself in a bad situation. 

It’s often experienced by people 
who are in situations that range 
from combat to rape, 
but it can be caused by a variety of events.

I will be honest: At the beginning, I spent hours and hours awake at night crying due to the lack of sleep, physical pain and emotional drain.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment