Sunday, April 28, 2013

Let the Sun Shine

 Sun and Serotonin
source


As I was in the middle of my surgeries and pain, I realized how important the sun was for me.

I have always loved to be in the heat.  I love to sweet and work hard.  I loved training!

I thought being on my workouts in the morning was the primary reason that I felt so good later in the day, however I have learned it was also due to the vitamin D that my body was soaking in.  

I was seeing first hand what a lack of vitamin D would do to a persons mood.  I was fighting not only the physical pain from the accident but also the lack of serotonin in my brain.  I was beginning to feel very frustrated!

 My doctor told me to stand in the sun with out sunglasses and allow my eyes and body to "soak up the sun" for a minimum of 20 min. twice a day!
 
Her reason:  Our serotonin  (the chemical responsible for mood elevation in the brain) levels are increased in the presence of the sun.

What a difference! Of course the warmth of the sun felt great but so did the effects of the sun on my brain!

When we are in the middle of an insurmountable event we must remember there are always things we can do to get through it.  





No comments:

Post a Comment